Return to the Koi Ponds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much to feed seven fish...

Posted by 4kids2love 7 (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 11:26

I'm new to this site but it seems this is the one I continually come back to for information about our fish, bullfrogs, plants, & pond water quality. I've read many and various koi websites and it seems everyone has a slightly different opinion about feeding habits.
After a year with our seven beautiful fish, (photo of Raggy and Wallop is from early spring), I actually still wonder if we're over or underfeeding. (We have a fantail and a comet each 5"; two koi that are 6-8"; and three koi that are 4-5".)
Originally we were flinging unidentified amounts of koi pellets and watching to see what they could eat in 2-5 minutes daily. I finally adjusted to a tablespoon scoop so we could at least feed them a more uniform amount and begged everyone to remember that once a day might be sufficient and we need to check with each other before we feed them...but they will always eat what's tossed in. (Although my 11 year old still comes inside sometimes and says, "I just fed the fish!" about an hour after I've fed them...) We now feed them between 2 and 4 heaping TBSP's. Of course this is not a strict amount, the 8" is a big mouth koi can really gobble so we always watch to see who's getting to eat (or not) and toss in more or less accordingly. Does 2-4 TBSP of daily koi pellets for seven fish this size sound ((about)) right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much to feed seven fish...

I feed mine a handful every time I go outside. BUT I also clean the filter material every couple of days to keep the water clean and do frequent water changes.. Mine are huge and very healthy..

o
RE: How much to feed seven fish...

Ours get fed several times a day, but we have one connected to another by a stream with a large submerged filter. You'll just need to be careful depending on your pond size. More eats = More poops ;)
Our larger koi are about 18-20 inches and I think they'd eat non stop. I had a new baby koi last year that was 3 inches... now about 8
That least ours eat each day is 3 times, but once won't hurt them.
Chris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Koi Ponds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here