Return to the Koi Ponds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should koi eat pellets that have sunk to bottom

Posted by Sophsmom none (My Page) on
Sat, May 10, 14 at 12:25

I have a new small pond with some small koi that were purchased last week. I noticed that quite a few pellets have sunk to the bottom, but the koi aren't eating them. Does that mean that I am overfeeding them if there is food left on the bottom?

I thought koi were naturally bottom feeders ... Im surprised that the haven't eaten the bottom food. Need help on this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should koi eat pellets that have sunk to bottom

you might over fed them . what ever they are not eating , you have to remove it or else you will have ammonia problem and the koi start to get sick.

www.koi-town.com

o
RE: Should koi eat pellets that have sunk to bottom

Hi Sophsmom, for beginners a good rule of thumb is feed your koi as much as they can eat in a 4 to 5 minute period It is best to feed them 2 to 3 times a day. If you feed them to much just once a day they can develop a bloated stomach. Koi-town is correct, all that uneaten food will turn into ammonia in your pond.

I hope this helps....
Craig

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Koi Ponds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here