Return to the Koi Ponds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
koi & tadpoles

Posted by shell8 Zone6 (My Page) on
Mon, May 22, 06 at 16:50

Do koi eat tadpoles?? I cant seem to find the ones I purchased a couple of weeks ago?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: koi & tadpoles

Yes, they do.

o

depends on the size of the koi and the size of the tadpoles, but yes, they will eat them if they can. Koi will eat pretty much anything in the pond. bugs, algae, plants, tadpoles, baby fish, etc.

o
Thanks

My koi got quite big since last yr and the are eating everything I have put in as tho they are starved. I do feed them and they still have destroyed all the plants this yr except of course for the lillies. Now I couldnt find the 2 tadpoles I put in a couple weeks ago. Do you think I could get more and keep them seperate until the get a bit larger and then put them in pond? Thanks.

o

Maybe if you had bullfrog tadpoles they wouldn't eat them, but I'm not sure you'd want bullfrogs in your pond. They also eat everything!! I have a separate 30 container pond just for tadpoles. My koi ate the green frog tadpoles I got last year so I learned not to mix them.

o

Some koi will eat bullfrog tadpoles if they can get them in their mouth. I would guess that your koi are not that large as they have not eaten you lillies. Those will be gone once the fish get big enough.
Mike

o

Must be one big Koi to get something the size of a golfball in his mouth.... eek!!! And so far, my koi have left my lillies alone. They are 1 ft long. But, of course, now that I've said that, when I get home wanna bet they've eaten the lillies? Calling Mr Murphy!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Koi Ponds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here