Return to the Koi Ponds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Koi Spawning Pic

Posted by akarinz 10 (My Page) on
Thu, May 17, 12 at 19:02

Hi Everyone,

Haven't posted here yet, but thought I would show this picture of what I came home to last night. I guess the koi all had a good time while I was at work.

Karin

Here is a link that might be useful: Koi Pond with Foam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Koi Spawning Pic

WOW!!! Great pic!! Did your poor lilies survive? Donna

o

Lilles survived, but the parrot's feather was completely thrashed. Last night I went to clean out the pre-filter, as it appeared clogged. It was full of string algae, which was full of eggs.

Karin

o
Koi named Oscar

My 1st Koi is about 6 years old and 12". He was kind of white when I bought him. He turned yellow a few years ago. Now he is splashed with a faint orange. I have been feeding better food. Is this good or bad?

o

We recently put in a Koi pond and have 3 koi that were given to us by our neighbor. We did not know if they were males or females. Over the last 2 days 2 of the 3 koi laid eggs. The one that did not lay eggs did not seem interested so we are assuming that it is also a female. After the koi got done thrashing around on the plant ledges we found hundreds of eggs in the skimmer. Also, now our water is full of white foam. Is there something we need to do to clear the water up? This is our first experience at having a koi pond and are a little bit lost at the moment.

o

The foam will go away after a day or so.

If you want to raise the koi fry, it is a good idea to remove the eggs after they spawn and put them into a separate tank with pond water, as the koi will eat the eggs after spawning.

You will need a bit of aeration to keep the water from stagnating. An air stone will do the job, just dont' have the force from the air too hard in the fry tank.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Koi Ponds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here