Return to the Koi Ponds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Otter!

Posted by orcuttnyc z5-6 NY (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 21, 06 at 7:32

Well, my wife and I were concerned, curious and dismayed about not seeing the koi in the natural three acre pond this spring. Last fall we counted fourteen, including four large, over two foot orange monsters. Over the last few months, we saw a couple, then only one and now none.
This last weekend, while relaxing in the hammock over looking the pond, I saw a creature on the little bridge on the far end. I called up to my wife. We both agree it was an otter crossing the bridge, moving then back into the wetland brush. We've seen too many nature films not to recognize an otter. We also have beaver, muscrat and other creatures. Those I can live with. But...an otter! They clean out ponds of fish, then move onto the next pond!
Soo much for our koi enjoyment. Gone! I also stocked the 3acre pond with trout this spring. I imagine the otter will take most of them as well.
I've been raising small koi in a horse troth to release into the pond when they've grown large enough. Now it seems i'm only raising otter food!
I'm even considering building a fifteen by twenty foot deep man made pond right up by the house in order to raise and enjoy koi...but, not only will that be expensive, but...it's a real shame to not be able to use the natural pond!
Here's a pic of the natural pond with the 'otter bridge' in the background, from last year.
We're really disheartened about this. We understand that nature plays out good and bad, ect...that you can't control it ect...but...i'm sure you koi enthusiasts will sympathise. Some of the koi had been with us for five years...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

and one of my former 'dudes'...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Otter!

I am very sorry about your fish being snacked upon. Is there a possibility you could live trap the otter and relocate to a more remote area? What does your state wildlife agency say about it?

As an aside, what a beautiful place - pond - you have there. It looks like a little piece of heaven tucked in those trees.

lisa in colorado

o

WOw
I thought I'd had every disater that can happen to a pond. have never had otters ,knock on wood lol.
From the pix it does look far more like an otter than a Koi pond.
Would think they would be fun to have around but of course would eat the fish.
maybe the best bet would be to build a Koi pond close to the house and allow the otters to stay.??
I would think the otter would find the easy meal though
particularly as it got more used to seeing you.
That is a beautiful pond !! Must attract all sorts of wildlife. Good luck with whatever you decide
gary

o

I feel your pain...same thing happened to me with a pair of RIver Otters...they're very cute but really, really annoying how they clear out a pond during the winter when the fish are too slow to escape. >:-(

o

your pond looks stunning, can you please post more pics?

Sorry about the otter, definitely try and trap the little bugger.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Koi Ponds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here