Return to the Koi Ponds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fence For Around Pond

Posted by townsend 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 7, 07 at 8:20

We are troubled by a blue herrin that is trying to eat our fish. After 3 years, I feel that it is time to fence in our pond. The pond measures 18 x 14. I'd like to see pictures of fences that other people have used. Is there a solution that looks natural? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fence For Around Pond

Just pit a string of electric wire around it.Only thing is he probably will know.

o

My husband modified a Fishock electric fence by using bamboo poles for the uprights and copper tubing instead of the wire. A wire leads from the transformer and wraps around the copper. It works great and looks nicer than the green plastic poles and wire.

Fishock fences are available at Petco and Petsmart and are lower voltage and safer than livestock fencing which can give quite a jolt.

o

• Posted by nancyd 5/Rochester, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 27, 07 at 11:36

I've heard from others that a fence won't necessarily do the trick - some birds have been known to fly directly into a pond or sit on the fence and glide in that way. There are very few hard and fast rules for herons. Each bird seems to be different. Our pond is approximately your size and we decided to use a net overnight and when we're not home. I fought it for a long time, but it's really not that bad. The only thing we have to avoid using are very tall plants. It's the only thing that worked on a very persistent heron and gave us peace of mind.

o

I want to protect kids from falling in my small pond but I don't want to keep small animals away from water's edge, like rabbits and badgers and ducks with babies. If I put a wire fence with metal poles about 10 inches above the ground would that work? Or would other probelms occur that I haven't thought of?

o

I have a Scarecrow Motion Activated Water Sprinkler (http://www.safepetproducts.com/scarecrow-motion-sprinkler.html0. This keeps away everything when turned on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Koi Ponds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here