Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcdupree

Question on Baby Koi and or Goldfish

kcdupree
13 years ago

I have a batch of fry, I swear some are koi, some are definately goldfish and others are a mystery to me.

All came from the netting I had put in the pond one day to let the koi spawn on, and taken out the next day. Unfortunately, my mistake was having 6 goldfish in the same pond. One was that gold color, several the goldfish orange and 1 was that cream color.

Now, here is the question. It seems I have a mixed batch of fish here. 2 are very small, but very orange with black tails and black fins. Very definately little goldfish.

1/2 the batch is large now, say 1 1/2" and bodies resemble the gold color and cream color goldfish. Then, the other 1/2 are way smaller, maybe not even 1/2-3/4" long and slender, some getting very black backs and resemble koi.

I know it's a wait and see kind of thing here, but WHY would the goldfish be out growing the koi? By almost 2-1?

Having the goldfish in the pond in the 1st place has been taken care of, they are now in the other pond. So this won't have to happen again.

Anyway had mixed batches of fry all from the same 24 hour spawn period?

Can someone tell me why the goldfish looking ones would be so much bigger than the koi looking ones?

Thanks!

Kathy

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Town & Country Pools, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Discover the Best Pool Builder in Virginia, Maryland & DC!