Return to the Koi Ponds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Koi Outgrowing Pond

Posted by sandiego.gardner Southern California (sandiego.gardner@mail.com) on
Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 20:11

Details: Started with what I was told were two male koi three years ago. They have grown to a family of ten plus two new babies, with the addition of two or three each spring/summer. They are fast outgrowing their 3,000 gallon pond.

Questions:
1. Best way to reach potential buyers?
2. From the little I have read, I shouldn't expect any high prices. I'm really just looking for a decent home.
3. I calculated my pond & 7-level waterfall volume at at 1,600 gallons. A fish cleaner/designer professional measured and figured 3,000 gallons. Either way, what is the maximum number of koi I can support comfortably? I read somewhere that with 1,600 gallons, I should have no more than 96 inches of koi, which is about where I am now. I'm thinking I want to get down to maybe 4 koi.
4. I'm asking several local koi pond businesses for quotes for monthly service with annual or every other year cleaning services. (Southern California - warm climate) I got one quote for $800 to remove fish, empty pond and power spray everything. Another guy did the same thing two years ago for $200. Should there be that much difference in quotes?
5. ...and what should a monthly maintenance contract run?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Koi Outgrowing Pond

Hi Sandiego, the amount of fish load you can have really depends on your filtration and water quality. Koi that we raise in the back yard are really hard to sell because of the competition of true breeders. You must realize that breeders only keep a small selected group of koi from the massive number a fry they hatch. San Diego has a koi club, you can look it up on the net. They may be able to help you to find good homes.

Craig

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Koi Ponds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here