Return to the Koi Ponds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electric for pond pump costs?

Posted by orcuttnyc z5-6 NY (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 1, 06 at 20:32

Do pond pumps use a lot of electricity? I just purchased one to use in a seventy gallon pond. I look at the beauty of the experience. My wife of course wants to know how much it will cost to run.
I know i'll find out soon enough, when I receive my monthly electric bill, but...anyone want to chime in with guestimets?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electric for pond pump costs?

Depends on the pump and your local rates. It should tell you the watts per hour somewhere on the pump. Look on an old bill and find out the KW/hour rate. usually anywhere from $0.08 up to $0.20 per KW hour depending on your area and useage.

o
RE: Electric for pond pump costs?

Good question orcuttnyc. I have been researching this myself as I'll soon be installing a solar PV system to generate all our household electricity. This is an expensive exercise so reducing our electricity consumption has become a priority.

It pays to shop around because wattage varies widely amongst pumps of similar pumping capacity and head. I was looking for a submersible pump that would turnover around 3000GPH at a 1m head. I found that between different makes and models power consumption varied from 100 to over 1000 watts! Where I live that translates to annual running costs of approx $100 - $1000 per year (assuming you run the pump 24/7).

I found that amongst submersible pumps, European models such as Oase and Laguna tended to have the lowest running costs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Koi Ponds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here