Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twowilldo

Oops! Disappearing koi or possibly...

twowilldo
17 years ago

Hi everyone. We are new to this forum and look forward to learning and discussing all things fish-ish. I posted this dilemma in the wrong discussion area last night - before seeing this specific koi forum. My bad.

Anyhoooooo... is it entirely possible for koi to become cannibalistic? We have two moderately-sized fish (largest about 10"). They are fed twice daily with pellets and have algae salad to snack on between pellet meals. They also get chunks of banana once or twice a week and the larger white koi can suck down chunks equivalent to a feeder-sized comet. Which therefore makes us wonder... could the koi be hungry or aggressive enough to eat other fish?

We have (had?) a dozen or so comets that seem to be disappearing. And sadly, a newly added koi (about 2" - 2-1/2") has vanished after only a few hours in the pond and during daylight hours at that while we home and in the vicinity of the pond. We checked the plants and rocks carefully and it isn't sucked up against the pump screen either... There is no evidence of animals coming in. The pond is small, about 9+ or so feet in diameter and a bit less than 4' deep. I checked the edges to see if maybe the new koi jumped out and committed suicide but didn't find it anywhere.

Has anyone had experience with this problem?

bill and lisa

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area