Return to the Koi Ponds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Koi fry are not growing

Posted by trina5901 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 7, 11 at 19:19

Our koi spawned for the first time in the 7 years we've had them. We hadn't planned this and didn't know anything about what to do, so we got on Google and found out as much as we could. We prepared a 50 gal nursery tub with aeration, plants and a screen draped over pvc for easy extraction when the time comes. We moved approximately 75 to 100 fry into the tub as soon as they started hatching. They are now approximately 6-8 weeks old and the majority of the fry moved are only about a quarter of an inch to a half inch in length. The majority of the koi left in the big pond are at least one inch to 3 inches in length, all from the same spawn, as far as we know. The nursery tub is plenty warm and has plenty of oxygen in the water. We cycle the plants out of the big pond every few days so they can get fresh algae which we supplement with crushed Hikari gold pellets. As I said we were not planning on raising any koi babies but since we were thrust into this against our will, we decided we would give it a try. Can anyone give us an idea as to why the fry we moved into the tub might not be growing like their siblings that were left in the big pond? One other thing too, the fry that were left in the big pond are a variety of different colors matching the different adult koi in our pond, while the little guys that were moved all seem to be staying a solid orange color. Also, we are certain these are koi fry, because we have no other species of fish in our pond.
Thanks,
Trina
Suffolk VA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Koi fry are not growing

I believe koi fry getting their colors is in direct relation to their size..the fry in your tub are not large enough yet to start showing their colors.
As for why they're small..I would just guess that anything raised in an artificial enviroment just won't thrive like their siblings raised in a big pond. As long as they're not dying, I would be happy....
I have never heard of 6-8 week old fry getting to 3 inches...it's much more likely that they are fry from last year, and that's why they are so large and getting colors!
You can try to cordon off an area in your main pond for them with fine netting...good luck! So far, you're doing good!! Donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Koi Ponds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here