Return to the Koi Ponds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which pond pump to use?

Posted by koipondguy1986 none (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 22:50

Ok. So I'm thinking of installing this pond pump in my newly built koi pond which is around 1000 gallons big.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBMERSIBLE-SUB-DIRTY-CLEAR-WATER-PUMP-POND-POOL-1-2-HP-/360470436182?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53edb65956

It's cheap and looks good but my only concern is that it's a little different from other type of pond pumps that are available online. I live in a third world country and getting the normal ones shipped over here are damn expensive. So one of my options is to use this kind of a pump. What do you guys think? Will this work? Any advice is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which pond pump to use?

Brother, unless electric is really cheap where you live, 400Watts will quickly eat up the initial savings of buying a cheap pump that's not designed for continuous use (that's why it has that float switch - that pump is designed as an intermittent duty sump pump and will typically overheat when run continuously and last a little over a year). In contrast to the direct drive you refer to, a typical magnetic drive pump of the same size but lower head will draw around 250 Watts, run continuously for many years and be cheaply rebuildable. A more expensive asynchronous magnetic drive, also called hybrid magnetic drive, will draw 200Watts or less. To take advantage of the savings make sure your tubing is 1 to 2 sizes LARGER than the discharge of the pump, to minimize friction losses and get every drop you're paying for. My advice would be to figure your running costs first, then take another look at the initial price. Happy Ponding! D

o

I have both the Eco Plus (4000gal) and Cyclone Alpine (8000gal), I push water 50ft up a hill, so both will be probably an overkill. Eco Plus has some small pumps, just understand what you need to push first, width of waterfalls etc. I use the Eco during the winter and the Cyclone during the summer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALPINE-CYCLONE-PUMP-8000-GPH-WATERFALL-POND-PUMP-/220762874321?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33667e21d1

Check out Amazon as well as eBay, Amazon has better returns if you need to sometimes, depending on the vendor, so read the return policies etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cyclone Alpine 8000Gal

o

I've used Pondmaster Pumps by Danner mfg for many years with great success. On my large pond (3500 gal) I've been running a 2400GPH pump non-stop for over 10 years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Koi Ponds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here