Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msulli2472

What Is In My Pond

msulli2472
13 years ago

I posted this some time ago in the Pond forum but did not get any helpful information.

Several months ago I went out to my pond in the morning. The water was clear and the pond surface was free from debris. Went I went back later that same afternoon, the water was still clear however the surface of the pond was covered in what looked like green pollen. I thought that it was pollen and that after the bloomig season this green debris would go away however it hasn't.

That pattern repeats itself almost every day, in the morning the water is clear and the surface of the pond is free from debris. In the afternoon the water is still clear however the surface of the pond is covered in the green debris.

I scooped some of the debris out and it looks like a tiny little plant. It must be dieing back every night and then rebloomong the next day. I would suspect that a passing bird has left me this gift. The pond is in central Florida and is in a mix of sun and shade. It contains about 4,500 gallons and I have a 40 watt presurized UV filter attached to the pump. This is the first time in five years I have had this kind of bloom. We have another pond about 150 feet away and it does not have this bloom.

Does anyone know what this is and how to get rid of it?

Comment (1)