Return to the Koi Ponds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salt sensitive - tolerant plants

Posted by dustin_nevadanorth z5 NV (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 8, 10 at 0:20

This winter will be our first with the new pond. The temperatures are already dropping off a lot with several frosts and water temps dipping in the 50s and 60s. Below is a list of plants in the pond. The first group is reported tolerant of salting but I am not sure of the others. I would like to salt going into winter to make sure things go well. My plan is to salt at .1% a day for three days to reach a level of .3%.

Blue Flag Iris
Louisiana iris
Cold hardy lily

Water Primrose, Ludwigia
Willow, Salix
Cattail, Typha
Spatterdock, Nuphar luteum
Sedges, Carex
Water Mint, Mentha aquatica
Watercresses, Nasturtium
Water Celery, Oenanthe javanica
Parrot's Feather, Myriophyllum aquatica
Duck potato, Sagittaria latifolia

Any ideas where to look for this info?

Thank you Dustin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salt sensitive - tolerant plants

sorry....just saw this. here's a good link that lists the salt tolerance of various plants.

But....don't salt your pond. You don't need it. I know it's a common believe that you need to salt your pond, but that is not correct. Koi and goldfish are not salt water species and gain nothing by keeping salt levels in the pond. The use of salt should be reserved for when fish actually NEED it, such as when they are sick or to treat a select few parasites. Keeping salt in the pond all of the time makes it ineffective when it is actually needed for treatment purposes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonnie's plant

o
RE: Salt sensitive - tolerant plants

Blue flag and lousiana Iris will tolerate being under salt water for at least 48 hours. Blue flag grows here in brackish water, which would be too salty for fish.

Carex, willow, cattails, sagittaria and parrot feather all went under salt water for >24 hours and came back.
Tally HO!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Koi Ponds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here