Return to the Koi Ponds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bottom drain diffuser all winter?

Posted by onkyokoi zone 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 20, 08 at 12:41

My contractor recommended that i turn off my waterfalls, filter, skimmer etc, but let the diffuser on my bottom drain run all winter long to keep a hole open in the ice.
Is this ok to do?
My pond is 3 1/2 feet deep, about 2500 gallons. Im in zone 6
Does anyone leave their BD diffuser on all winter? Is it safe to do so?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bottom drain diffuser all winter?

I am in Orlando so I do not have any experience with zone 6! We are in zone 10.

From what I know the bacteria that are in the filter, waterfall, biofall, or whatever system you have pretty much dies in the winter. I understand that you have to have a hole open in the ice to let the gasses escape and oxygen in.

If all else fails move to Orlando and I can build you a swimming pool.

Hope I helped a little... I know nobody else is posting in here.

Jason

o
RE: Bottom drain diffuser all winter?

I have always kept my filter and waterfalls running for 15 years of ponding. It keeps the water oxygenated and except for the very cold winters, keeps at least a small area open. I keep the filters in as well and they gather quite a lot, even though the water is cold. I have lived in zones 4, 5, and six.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Koi Ponds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here