Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lee_dylan

first fish

lee_dylan
16 years ago

hello all, i just put my first 4 koi in my pond today. there was a koi show at the fair grounds so i purchased a few. they look pretty small in there i will have to add more later and watch them grow.just went out there and turned the light on they sure seem to enjoy the size of the pond. took me about 4 months to finish this pond, still have to do the decking and vegataion around the sides but just had to get some fish in there. im sure you know what i mean. Lee

Comments (7)

• hidesert_windy
    16 years ago

How big is your pond? Were your new koi already pretty big? They'll grow pretty fast if they were small when you bought them. :( I have four koi now, no room for more.

• lee_dylan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

well i built it at little under 11000 gallons, i had the room and always heard to build as big as possible.the koi i got are about 4 inches long, i forgot the type but they have the long butterfly tails.thats why i said they look so small in my pond. Lee

• hidesert_windy
    16 years ago

Lee, by the end of next season they will be much bigger and your pond will be fabulous :) I wish my pond was that big, hubby wishes ours was smaller than it is LOL. We have one butterfly, a boy named Kitty. His coloring isn't terrific, he was culled from my BIL's stock, but he is so beautiful and graceful as he glides around the pond.. and soon we won't be seeing him until Spring Thaw. Have I mentioned I hate winter?

• lee_dylan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

well i went and bought 6 more koi, i have a total of 10. i let my nephews, nieces and my son name all the fish. i named one ( a little guy) of courst i couldnt find him tonight. so there he was stuck in the pump basket. he looks pretty banged up, but still alive. figures it would be the one i named. time will tell on survival. Lee

• ccoombs1
    16 years ago

Lee, one thing you need to be aware of is that there is a deadly koi disease floating around out there called Koi Herpes Virus (KHV for short). Never introduce new koi to your existing collection without a good long quarantine period to insure they do not have parasites or KHV. I QT for at least 2 months....and that is for koi that I purchase from dealers from whom I have built up a lot of trust from. Unknown dealers, water garden stores, EBay....I won't even buy from them ever (except for SJKOI on Ebay...he is an outstanding breeder with a closed farm).

• lee_dylan
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The last lot i purchased was from sacramento koi, awsome people. They QT all of there fish, so I am pretty confident on them. The first four I purchased on the other hand are questionable. The one that got sucked into the pump basket still hanging in there. Lee

• ccoombs1
    16 years ago

Lee, I'll try to explain my QT process so you can understand why letting the dealer QT for you is not a good practice. When new fish arrive, they go straignt into my QT that has a cycled filter (My Q-tank also has 2 little koi living in it full time to keep the filter cycled). I net the tank and leave them alone for a few days. After a week, I'll start light feedings. In another week, I do some parasite examinations. this involves scraping a small bit of slime coat from a couple areas of the fish and examining them witha microscope. If parasites are found, they are treated accordingly. The temperature in the Q-tank needs to be maintained at 75° for at least a month to 6 weeks because these temperatures will bring KHV to an active state, if the fish is infected. Then I take a small fish from my own collection and add it to the Q tank. All fish harbor parasites and bacteria that they are perfectly used to and are able to defend against it. they have built up immunity to it. The purpose of this last step is to make sure that the new fish and the old fish won't make each other sick. Believe me....I have seen two batches of apparently healthy fish make each other very sick before...it is very sad to see. Anyway, if all is well for 2 more weeks, then QT is over and the fish can all go to the pond.

So you see....a dealer can hold a new batch of fish for a period of time, but that is not really QT at all. QT is a process to make sure the new fish is healthy, but also to make sure it is compatible with your existing population and pond.

Sponsored