Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zanne_gw

Raising Japanese Beetles over the winter

Zanne
22 years ago

I'm going to be attempting, next summer, to obtain one mating pair of beetles and quite a few mated female beetles. (I would assume the beetle on the bottom of the mating pairs?) I will keep them indoors to raise for their grubs to, hopefully, have a continuous supply of in vitro parasitic nematodes.

If anyone knows a better culture, than the usual for pet beetles, let me know. I would obviously have a separate cantainer of the nematodes, to which I would be adding grubs every seven days or so, until the outside soil was warm enough for release. I realize the beetles may not like this, but unfortunately I do not like them eating everything in my yard.

Anyone know if the nematodes reproduce in earthworm eggs? I know they don't bother the adults, but I always have plenty of earthworm eggs on hand. I will also be trying the same thing with the masked chafer beetles.

Comments (10)

• Belgianpup
    22 years ago

I don't know too much about beneficial nematodes, but if you introduce them into your soil, don't they feed on the grubs & reproduce right there in the decomposing bodies? I was just looking at my total source of nematode info, which is the Gardens Alive! catalog, & they say the best time to introduce the nematodes is 2-8 wks before the first frost, then they are in the soil & ready to pounce on the grubs in spring, so presumably they can survive over winter.

Let me know if I have misunderstood this information, as I was going to recommend these nematodes to my brother, who has a real problem with Jap beetles & chafers.

Sue

• Zanne
    Original Author
    22 years ago

From what I understand, they die overwinter even in Fl soils. Because they start "working" in 48 hours, I assume Garden's Alive meant for them to have attacked all the grubs that would otherwise be overwintering.
    The problem with waiting till spring, (when they would survive longer), is you have to wait for the soil to warm up to about 70 for the heterorhabditis nematodes (which Garden's Alive has), and over 50 degrees soil temp for steinernema, which are slower moving and not as agressive. I do know that in north FL's sandy soil the ones from Garden's Alive worked VERY well applied in spring. They even took out all my fire ants there! I'm going to have a harder time of it in this heavy soil here.

• Nelz
    21 years ago

What about Milky Spore? I've read it lasts up to 10 years in the soil.

Isn't ther something else to feed nematodes? Or can't you buy some type of grub from a pet or bait store? The thought of overwintering beetles hasn't quite settled here yet!

• nandina
    21 years ago

Zanne,
    I suppose that you have done as I just did and put all combinations of your subject in Search. The commercial growers are holding their beneficial nematode information closely. So, all I can work on is a hunch. I think they are feeding their wee beasties protozoa. I could be way off base and then....I could be close to the answer. My biology days are a distant past. However, a trip to a biologist at a nearby college could probably give you an easy protozoa raising technique. I do not remember that it is too difficult. Sometimes my hunches work and it certainly would be a very easy feeding method of a few drops of protozoa laden water every few days on the soil. Check it out.

• dchall_san_antonio
    21 years ago

Here's a link to Ohio State's beneficial nematode site. There's more info than you ever wanted to know about these guys.

Insect Parasitic Nematodes

• pickles333
    19 years ago

LOl ,i read the topic of raising jap beetles ,Well i figured at first the little men in white jackets will take you away for sure. How ever reading on it might just work for you .Good luck

• californian
    16 years ago

Japanese Beetles are a pest. Why would you try to raise them? They eat my nectarines, I hate them.

• kaihui
    16 years ago

You have no idea what you are doing. Just google a little bit you will find what Japanese beetles can do. It wiped out many orchards last year.

• alexander3_gw
    16 years ago

Read the original post closely. He is raising them as food for parasitic nematodes that he will release in his yard to kill Japanese beetle grubs.

• afss
    16 years ago

Any one know how far north can the nematodes be used? what zone?

thanks