Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sunflower house

Posted by samhain10 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 13:59

Hi! Still snowy and freezing here in MI, but I'm working on plans for a sunflower house this season - anyone out there have first hand experience with this so as to give me pointers for success? I'll plant in a circle 10-12 ft in diameter with a 2-3 ft doorway, with Kong Sunflowers in the inner part of the perimeter and shorter varieties in front of those. I'm also thinking of planting a mini-garden of flowers in front of the "house" in the manner of a cottage garden. The whole area is in an already established garden space which is part of my veggie garden. Just thought I'd have some fun this year! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sunflower house

I wish you luck! I've wanted to try a sunflower house for years, but never had the space or enough sunshine. I've heard that planting Heavenly Blue Morning Glories to climb up the sunflowers is a popular design. I like the idea of planting other flowers in front, as well.

Martha

o

I LOVE Heavenly Blues - good idea! The space thing was always what stopped me in the past because I felt it would be too "frivolous" to use all that potential veggie space (!!!!). Now I'm older and wiser. ;) I'll take pics and post as I go along. Right now we are still snow covered around here, so I can only dream about it.

o

First stage of the sunflower house...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here