Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janes_garden

Gardening in Cement

janes_garden
13 years ago

Hi,

I recently bought a home and there is a cement slab from a garage. I would like to know if I can garden on top of this slab, maybe as a raised bed or should I have the slab removed and if so, what should be done to the soil underneath to make it suitable for gardening.

Thanks for your suggestions. Jane

Comments (3)

• mashell
    13 years ago

Hi Jane,

Depending on money, time and labor I can think of a couple ways to incorporate that slab into a garden. But first question is if the slab is perfectly level, this would affect the drainage of your beds. But one thought is to build raised beds on top of the slab with the bottom portion of the raised bed filled with gravel (about a foot)to accommodate drainage. Then just fill with good organic matter and soil and plant. The second thought is if you didn't want to build the beds on top of the slab is to cut out where you want your raised beds to be this way they are setting right on top of the soil. Either way you have a wonderful easy to clean walk way between your beds. I don't suppose you have the need as we do here (because of short growing season and COLD) but the remaining cement would sure help to warm things up. Other wise if you did remove the entire slab first thing would probably get a soil test done to see what needed to be done to amend soil underneath the slab. Wishing you well in your garden venture.

• rainydaywoman_z8
    13 years ago

I'm so glad you asked that question, as I have had such good luck with a new (now 3-yr-old) raised bed on top of a concrete driveway that was way too long. I brought in a truckload of potting soil mixed with chicken manure, mounded it approx 3-ft high, and cleared a nice concrete path down the middle. I used boards nailed together for the length of the bed to keep the soil in place.

I got my idea from a library book explaining how to grow on flat surfaces (the author even planted trees in a tiny amount of soil). Since my bed faces west with no shade, it makes a wonderful hotbed, that i need here in Oregon. I have a tropicalesque garden with musa Basjoo, tons of cannas, dahlias, colocasia, alocasia, ornamental grasses,rice paper plant, sedum. euphorbia, cleome, crambe, etc etc. I am really happy with how this bed turned out, and it makes a wonderful green entrance to my back garden. Now I see plants instead of cars outside my dining room and office windows.

I'd like to know what you do and what you plant. Good luck!

• rainydaywoman_z8
    13 years ago

I'm so glad you asked that question, as I have had such good luck with a new (now 3-yr-old) raised bed on top of a concrete driveway that was way too long. I brought in a truckload of potting soil mixed with chicken manure, mounded it approx 3-ft high, and cleared a nice concrete path down the middle. I used boards nailed together for the length of the bed to keep the soil in place. By mulching well and watering carefuly, I don't waste water or have water runoff.

I got my idea from a library book explaining how to grow on flat surfaces (the author even planted trees in a tiny amount of soil). Since my bed faces west with no shade, it makes a wonderful hotbed, that i need here in Oregon. I have a tropicalesque garden with musa Basjoo, tons of cannas, dahlias, colocasia, alocasia, ornamental grasses,rice paper plant, sedum. euphorbia, cleome, crambe, etc etc. I am really happy with how this bed turned out, and it makes a wonderful green entrance to my back garden. Now I see plants instead of cars outside my dining room and office windows.

I'd like to know what you do and what you plant. Good luck!

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County