Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer eating my fruit trees

Posted by LullabyF360 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 28, 13 at 18:05

I have several fruit trees I planted last year. Plum, pear, apple, peach, and pomegranate. The deer from our woods like to eat their leaves. At first I thought there was an issue with the trees, but one night my husband opened the front door, and there they were eating my leaves! They have not touched my grapes or several berry bushes. What can I do to keep them from eating off my trees? I also have wormwood planted directly around my house. I know the "tea" made from wormwood is a natural pesticide, but I was told it will repel the deer, too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer eating my fruit trees

I've read all sorts of things that are supposed to repel deer, but the only thing I've found that really works is to put up a chicken wire or hardware cloth cage that stays in place until your trees have grown big enough that the deer can't hurt them. The cage doesn't have to be anything elaborate, just a circle around them, staked well enough that it can't blow away. If the trees are already fairly tall, the cages will need to be a little bit wider so that the deer can't easily stretch their heads over to grab a bite. If it's too much work, they'll go elsewhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here