Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chuck_gw

emergency growing kits

chuck
18 years ago

Recently, I thought that perhaps it might be worthwhile to attempt to come up with an emergency kit containing everything necessary to get some green food growing. The thought was that having some fresh garden food to augment emergency rations would be of sufficient benifit to those facing a long emergency to warrent the project. What evolved was a series of designs, each becoming a bit les complicated in design until finaly, the result was a hammock like affair that could be hung between any two tie off points, and using an overhead rope or wire as a place to attatch overhead supporting tie offs. The result is a trough about 6 foot long where plants can be grown. I grew things like celantro, canenne peppers, lettuce, and even a potato started from a peeling. The trough material was made from raincoat material, and could be folded up for easy packaging in a 5 gallon pail. The potting material would also be put into the pail making shipping in large numbers rather easy. I have pictures of the various test beds, and if you enjoy trying out different ideas, take a look and see if you get some ideas of your own. I had thought to make up a half dozen or so kits to store for any future emergency where food may become scarce. chuck

Here is a link that might be useful: emergency growing kit ideas

Comments (3)