Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1000watt growth trials

Posted by Devon7234 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 17, 13 at 19:14

Good Evening,

I am working on a project where I will be starting 18 flats of seeds. I have a metal halide lamp, with a digital ballast. This will cover my 5x5 area. Quick question, has anyone sprouted under a metal halide? I can certainly turn the juice down on the ballast. What's a good distance to keep my lamp from the plants but still insure strong stocky growth? By the way, the seeds are tomatoes.

V/R
Devon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1000watt growth trials

I used 2 500w halide to start tomatoes this year before i built a 6500k fluorescent set up where they now live. The tomatoes germinated and continued to grow without a problem. I've got a couple tips for you.
Check the moisture levels often because the heat does evaporate the water fast with this light bulb. clear plastic tray covers are a must unless you want to be spraying the containers 5 times a day (which i did for the first few weeks). cut shape out of zip lock bag if you cant find anything more practical. When seedlings sprout, take cover away so they don't dampen off. This being said, make a new plastic tray cover with a hole where the plant comes out. this keeps the water in much longer (again, it took me a few weeks before trying this, but they stay moister, much longer).
Since the light gives heat, and not enough lumens (im not sure if this is true, how many lumens are you running?), transplanting them is finicky, so i prefer to plant one seed per pot to begin with instead of growing bulk in one container) transplanting them to their own pot later on. If nothing germinates, plant another seed in the dud pots. It takes a little more patience, but the stress from the high heat killed a couple during transplant.
My old system didn't push out enough lumens, so i wrapped cardboard in tin foil and enclosed the plant area to salvage as much light as possible. it also retained a bit of humidity which tomatoes love.
I'm interested to find out how large yours grow. I moved mine over to a florescent set up, and it almost seemed like the tomatoes were growing faster under the halide because of the heat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here