Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corn Meal for fungus control

Posted by cjccmc So. CA (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 25, 03 at 21:05

On other forums here at GW people have reported some success with corn meal.
Has anybody tested it on roses for blackspot, powdery mildew and rust?
Would it be as good as Daconil as a fungicide for tomatoes?
If it works, please describe how it is done (applied how, quantity, frequency, etc.) Corn meal seems much friendlier than the chemicals at Home Depot.
Thanks,
Conrad

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corn Meal for fungus control

cjccmc, This sounded interesting to me also, so I did a search with 'cornmeal' and found what you maybe looking for.

o

Nandina's thread on cornmeal for blackspot is on this page!

o

I was going to suggest looking at Nandina's experiment, too.

I use one handful per rose plant. That's about a half cup. In the past two years, since I started using it, I have had no fungus problems. Not only that, I have not had any aphids in two years. This follows 8 consecutive seasons of aphid problems. So, from hundreds of aphids on all plants to zero aphids on all plants, all at once following the application of corn meal...I just have to connect the events. Don't ask why. Other than possibly the corn meal created a plant with more resistance to natural pests??? I don't know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here