Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating Tomato cuttings

Posted by eric_wa San Juan, z8 WA (ejellison@rockisland.com) on
Fri, Jan 29, 10 at 21:17

Hello,

Maybe this subject has been covered.

Has anyone taken cuttings from a large tomato plant and produced many new plants.

Remove the suckers, dip them in rooting hormone and plant. I was thinking 4" pots, filled with soiless potting mix and bottom heat.

Could you take the cuttings at the end of the season. Pot them up and winter them over until spring.

A perpetual tomato plant. Disease may squash this idea.
Eric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating Tomato cuttings

dump

o

I went looking for this question on the tomato forum and couldn't find it there.

I think it is an excellent idea for an experiment.

o

thanks albert,

I think there is a similar post in Plant Propagating forum.

Eric

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 9, 10 at 10:00

Almost all indeterminate tomato growers will use the removed suckers to start another tomato plant from time to time. You just stick them in the soil and keep them watered! No need for any special rooting compound.

Tomatoes are like weeds! And some people keep one plant going for years this way!

o

I didn't search for it , but I do remember reading about this in the tomato forum last year. Someone was able to grow out the same plant throughout the year till the next season! (brought it indoors for the winter).
Yeah, tomatoes are like weeds. I've stuck a broken, deer eaten main branch into the soil (no love or care) and it rooted. Too bad it didn't recover in time to give me ripe maters though. Wah.

o

Interesting.

I took a couple of cuttings from a plant and stuck them in a jar of water for a week, and then put them in a 7-gallon pot. I'm keeping track of all the data.

Mike

o

• Posted by foxd z5b/6a (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 19, 10 at 11:55

No big trick to it, I have kept clones from a tomato plant going for several years now by several methods. By taking cuttings and putting them in clear plastic cups that I kept watered. By laying a branch from one potted tomato plant into another pot and letting it root. etc.

No rooting compound needed!

o

Thanks everyone.

In the winter, are they growing or do they start again in the spring ? Are you wintering them over in a greenhouse?

Eric

o

I'm growing them upstairs. Who wants to eat those cardboard maters from the store!

Mike

o

mike,

Are they in a south facing window, under lights? How are you wintering them over?

Eric

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here