Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cheap, Durable Seed Starting & Propagation Kits

Posted by Dic_Tamnus z5b OH (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 22, 03 at 12:38

The other day I was at Wal mart looking at their flimsy $5.00 plastic seed starting kits. You know the ones - black plastic try with clear plastic cover. Even with good care I find I have to replace mine every 2-3 years.

On the way out of the stre inspiration hit. I went over to the Rubbermaid storage containers and found every shape and size I could want. They are tough. They allow plenty of light in for your seeds and cuttings, and they come with hinged covers.

They safe space, too. Until the sedlings emerge, I'm keeping them stacked on top of each other. Using peat pots I can easily start 60-70 plants per flat. And the deeper tub is doing great as a place to start winter cuttings.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cheap, Durable Seed Starting & Propagation Kits

My husband came up with the same idea couple of weeks ago when I complained about the quality of those starters. Plus, we got a bigger size storage box, so more cells fit in. I use it upside down: the top is the tray, the box is the cover.... And, these Rubbermaid boxes being higher the seedlings have more air. So far it works

o

Great Idea ... I never even thought of that. How much do the rubbermaid containers cost?

o

I wonder which sizes were the rubbermaid containers that you bought? Which has the most efficient "cell pack" fitting? I want to know what you tried. Sorry if I sound annoying, but I am trying to figure what is the best for a gardener's money, like me. Hopefully hear from you soon.

o

The 58 and 28 quarts are pretty good sizes ... they run about 3 to 4 dollars at Wal-Mart.

Orion

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here