Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Giant Pumpkins In Northern WI?

Posted by Drywall_DIY_Guy z4 WI (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 5, 05 at 12:59

Anybody try something like this?

Place 2inch (or more) of dense pink insulating foam down to insulate from cold underneath).

Place a good amount of top soil on top.

Place soil heaters in soil.

Enclose with temporary greenhouse with heat source and even perhaps supplemental light.

Start pumpkins in mid April when the below zero weather and blizzards end.

If I could get a 100+ pound pumpkin to grow where I live it would be really cool, especially when I brought the pumpkin to the 4H fair!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Giant Pumpkins In Northern WI?

And the seeds you want are for the "Atlantic Giant" developed by a fellow called Howard Dill of Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada. Google it. Many seed catalogues carry these .......and a hundred pounds would be considered a SMALL Atlantic giant.

o
RE: Giant Pumpkins In Northern WI?

Yes, 100 lbs would be small but it would stop traffic around here! When we finally do get summer around here, the days are really long (5AM til 9:30PM) so things grow well in that time period. It can be harsh in May and even early June with daytime highs of 48F and prolonged cold rain off Lake Superior.

If I decide to do this, I would probably set this all up this summer and do it next year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here