Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deep_roots

Introducing Air into the Soil of Deep Raised Beds

deep_roots
17 years ago

Plant root development often is more productive in the upper 2 feet of soil, although the root may extend 6 feet deep with the tap root and side roots. It has been shown that the amount of plant growth above the soil is related to the amount of roots beneath the soil. I think more root growth can be achieved by controlling the nutrients, moisture, and air exchange in the lower depths of the root growth.

To test this, I am looking for anyone who has heard of introducing oxygen or atmospheric air into soil. I have thought about creating a series of PVC pipes running vertically and horizontally through the soil through which I can introduce air or fertigation. I would then compare the test area by planting similar plants into the test bed and a separate control bed for the sake of comparative observations. A deeper rooting plant like giant cabbage or indeterminate tomatoes would be used.

Feel free to provide your input regarding how realistic this sounds or what ideas you might have to help me test this concept.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource