Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshinedydrm

Beatles Garden

sunshinedydrm
21 years ago

Hi! I'm slowly creating a Beatles themed Garden. So far, I have a strawberry patch I call "Strawberry Fields", a McCartney Rosebush, "Marmalade Skies" roses, "Penny Lane" violas, and I'm ordering the "Abbey Road" Iris ths year. Any suggestions of other Beatle-named plants (veggies or flowers)?

Comments (43)

• Field
    21 years ago

There's a David Austin shrub rose called 'Jude the Obscure.' And be sure yours is 'The McCartney Rose' which is a hybrid tea named for Paul and not the wild species Rosa bracteata, called 'Macartney Rose.'

• sunshinedydrm
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thanks! I'm sure I have the McCartney rose named after Paul - it bloomed around the time he got married and the roses matched his new bride's bouquet!

• Okanagan
    21 years ago

I'm thinking of the line "Octopus' garden in the shade."

I found this:
    SCHEFFLERA. OCTOPUS PLANT, UMBRELLA PLANT

Guess it's a house plant tho, in your zone, and mine.

• shakaho
    21 years ago

What fun! A quick search yielded the dahlia "Caproz John Lennon."

• sunshinedydrm
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! Sharon 9 FL, out of curiousity, I was wondering what color the John Lennon dalia was and if you saw it in a particular catalog. Thanks!

• shakaho
    21 years ago

Just do a search on it. I did find a picture. It's yellow.

• dallas_starsgirl
    21 years ago

What a great theme! I just saw a miniature rose called "Oh Darlin!" (in the Every Rose database) but can't find where to buy it. I also have "Marmalade Skies" and I love it!

• sunshinedydrm
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Thanks, Dallas Starsgirl! I'll try to find "Oh Darlin" and let you know if I do! Or, if you find it first, please post where you got it. Thanks! I'm working on having my husband (who's an artist) paint me a sign for my garden that says "Welcome to Pepperland" and another sign for by my strawberry patch that reads "Strawberry Fields Forever". Happy Gardening!

• mymacca
    20 years ago

This is a wonderful thread!

I also have a "Beatles garden" :)

There is a climbing rose called "Penny Lane", and dont forget the freesia that inspired the title for John and Yoko's album "Double Fantasy"

I couldn't think of anything to represent Ringo, does anyone know if he gardens?

It's a bit dissappointing that despite his well known love of gardening, there hasn't been anything named for George!
    I really hope someone who hybridizes lotus will pick something nice for him....as this is how he wished to be remambered. In the meantime , perhaps a few lovely old vintage garden gnomes perhaps?

• sunshinedydrm
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hi! I'll have to find the climbing rose "Penny Lane"! I'm not sure the freesia will grow in my zone, but maybe I'll try! Snowpeak Iris offers an Abbey Road iris, a Penny Lane iris, and a Ringo iris! I just ordered them. I'm waiting for someone to do something nice for George! It's funny that he was the gardener of the group, but, so far, I haven't found anything named for him yet! I like the idea of vintage garden gnomes, though!

• Wendy_the_Pooh
    20 years ago

Carex 'Beatlemania', Gomphrena 'Strawberry Fields'

• sunshinedydrm
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hi, Springcherry! Thanks! I actually found a daylily called "Lovely Rita"! It's yellow and may multiply so it has a sister or two! I'm still waiting for someone to name something for George! I've found references to all the others and to a lot of songs, but nothing for George yet! Love your ideas!

• springcherry
    20 years ago

Hi Sunshinedaydream

Theres a Dark Horse Weigela!

I want one too.

Where went the sun,
    Springcherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Crass County Extension

• sunshinedydrm
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hi, Springcherry,

I'll have to find the Dark Horse. Let me know if you find it somewhere! I'm still daydreaming about the sunshine. How much more rain can there be?

• butterflydiva
    20 years ago

wow. i am amazed there are so many beatles related palnts!! ooooh i have a whole new idea for a beatles themed garden bed to now,my hubby is a HUGE beatles fan so this will get him into the garden too =) what a brilliant idea thanks!!
    I'm now gonna be on a hunt for these beatles plants...about the ringo flowers, how tall do they get?? i'm thinkin if i can plant them in an old drum............PERFECT!

• jayco
    20 years ago

George was a big gardener as you probably know, and he apparently loved Japanese maples. I remember reading an interview with him where he claimed something along the lines that his greatest achievement was to have planted several hundred Japanese maples with his own hands on his Friar Park estate. So I'd consider a nice Japanese maple, in honor of George, as a centerpiece and anchor for the garden.

• sunshinedydrm
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Nice idea! I hope someday they'll release more pics of George's gardens! (there's one pic on "Brainwashed")

• radwmack
    20 years ago

there's also a 'Revolution' hosta

• giboosi_alttara
    20 years ago

There's also a Sgt. Pepper hosta.

• pickles333
    20 years ago

"She loves you ya! ya! ya!,Tyvm for the Beatles Garden,Hopefully they will always be in our minds and hearts.

• sharon_ga_zone7
    20 years ago

What reminds you of India? Something Indian could represent George. -How about a nice water feature w/waterlilies?

Although I loved reading he liked Japanese maples. Me too.

Sharon

I only have a couple of McCartney roses... so far.

• donnajoan
    19 years ago

God, I love you guys!!! We Beatle afficianados are special, aren't we!!!!???? Thanks for the inspiration!!!

• sunshinedydrm
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi! My hubby just made a "Strawberry Fields" sign for my strawberry patch!

• cloudy_christine
    19 years ago

There's a rose called 'Harison's Yellow.' One one "R" but still it could do.

• sunshinedydrm
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks! I'll have to look for that rose! I remember there is a site dedicated to finding roses. Does anyone remember the website address or name?

• mymacca
    19 years ago

I'm pleased to see this thread still going strong a year later!

Harison's Yellow is also called the "Yellow Rose of Texas" and it should be pretty easy to come by.

George once said that he wanted to be remembered as a lotus and that flower was used for the video of the re-release of "My Sweet Lord" So a Lotus would represent him well and per his own wishes. Sure would be nice to have one named for him.

I have Lords and Ladies (Arum Maculatum) that I collected at Friar Park. They bloomed the first time just after he died and I will have seeds this year from them if anyone has "Beatly" stuff they want to trade.

**Macca**

• lbolanz
    19 years ago

I recently saw in a catalog that there is a daylily called "Strawberry Fields Forever." Here's a link to a picture: http://www.ofts.com/photo/strawberry_fields_forever.html

• sunshinedydrm
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I saw it in a catalog, but, as I recall, it was very expensive. Anyone see this gem somewhere for less?

• Shellemarie
    19 years ago

There is a Pink Tree Rose called "Lucy". Plant her amongst the red miniature rose "Ace of Diamonds" and then you'll have "Lucy in the sky with Diamonds"!!
    That's as good as I could do. You guys are good!!!
    Shell

• jkw7aj
    19 years ago

There's a rose called "Julia's Rose", no last name.

Here is a link that might be useful: Julia's Rose

• sunshinedydrm
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Cool! I'll have to check it out!

• Herbalynn
    19 years ago

There's a Ringo Dahlia and a couple Pelargoniums (sp?) that are Ringo's too.
    Have fun! Lynn

• ginger_nh
    19 years ago

For Ringo:

Drumstick alliums
    Starflower (pentas and amsonia)
    Blazing star (liatris)
    'Ringo' giant white and purple Dutch iris
    'Ringo 2000' series bedding geranium
    Spring star flower (ipheian)
    'Drummer Boy' dahlia
    'Drummer Boy' crimson floribunda rose

• Cheer_Down
    19 years ago

I am new here but found this thread most interesting. I am a huge fan of George Harrison and am currently designing a tribute garden to him. By referencing video footage of George at Friar Park from variuos EPK's that have been issued I have been able to establish some of the ornamentaition used in the grounds.

Also from a web chat he gave on 15th February 2001 I have some of George's own recommendations of plants for gardens his suggestions were Miscanthus Zebrinas and Malepartus and a ginger by the name of Kahili.

Whilst searching for plants to add to my garden I have made a list of over 200 varieties of differnet plants that could be seen to represent George and his work some of the links are a tad tenuous but some that might be helpful to you are

A Rhoddodendhon - George's Delight
    A minature Lilly - Sweet Lord
    Various plants with the variety name of Midnight Blue

Whilst I would dearly love a plant to be named after George in the abscence of this I have looked for plants that have the same name as a song lyric or can be seen to represent important people in his life such as the Dark Lady Rose to represent Olivia, The Little Leo Sunflower to represent his son, George's son is s Leo and he's not very tall, The Rhoddodenrhon Patty B etc etc.

As part of the hard landscaping a mosaic of the Dark Horse record lable logo will be included.

I hope this gives you some ideas for plants and themes to represent George in you Beatles themed gardens

Looking forward to corresponding with you all on this forum. I will be setting up a website once I start work on the gardens and will pass the link onto you all when it is ready.

• Cheer_Down
    18 years ago

Further to my ast post I have discovered thanks to the RHS Plant finder that there is a Primula Auriccula called 'George Harrison' the only supplier listed is a nursery in Scotland though!

• davek913
    18 years ago

I don't know that it would fit your plan or your space, but don't forget about their label, Apple Records. A Granny Smith apple tree would be a natural. :)

• norska
    18 years ago

There is now a "Lovely Rita" and "Eleanor Rigby" hosta from Bridgewood Gardens - they seem to like naming them after songs (not just Beatles, either :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bridgewood Gardens Hosta Introductions

• heatherine
    18 years ago

This thread for some reason just got me right in the heart. I almost started crying! Just beautiful ideas. (yes, I'm a Beatles fanatic)

• llbeatlesgrl2006
    17 years ago

Hi there I'm new here, and stumbled across this thread about the Beatles Garden, this is extremely interesting to me since number 1 I haven't heard of these flowers until now and number 2 I am in the process attempting to landscape my backyard. I love this idea since I am a huge Beatles Fan. I know this is pobably an old question for all of you but where do I find these flowers? Are they available in Garden Centers? Or do they have to be sent away for? Just curious~I love the Japanese Red Maple idea for an anchor to the Garden I have no trees in my back yard as yet, however aren't their root systems a bit invasive? Thanks for any and all advice/or help you can give me.

• janetm_pa
    17 years ago

I love this idea! I hope you'll post pictures of your beatles gardens.

• mariodenis
    16 years ago

any follow-ups? pictures? i am a new gardener and i am looking for the plants named above, long live the fab 4s....

• daredevil
    16 years ago

Wow has this thread been running a long time! I came across it when I was searching name possibilities for my own daylily registrations.

Here's a list of daylily names that I cannot use because they've already been taken. Seems you could fill a rather large bed with just Beatle-themed daylilies:

ACROSS THE UNIVERSE (2004)
    AIN'T SHE SWEET (2000)
    ANNA (1982)
    ASK ME WHY (1978)
    BECAUSE (1972)
    BLUE JAY WAY (2001)
    DAY TRIPPER (1998)
    DEAR PRUDENCE (1994)
    DIZZY MISS LIZZY (2003)
    DOUBLE FANTASY (1985)
    EIGHT DAYS A WEEK (2004)
    EVERY LITTLE THING (1994)
    FEVER (1976)
    HELTER SKELTER (1981)
    JULIA (1950)
    LADY MADONNA (1989)
    LONG TALL SALLY (1996)
    MICHELE (1953)
    MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR (2001)
    MARMALADE SKIES (1994)
    PENNY LANE (2000)
    RINGO'S STAR (2004)
    SERGEANT PEPPER'S BAND (2000)
    STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOEVER (1997)
    SUN KING (1980)
    TANGERINE HORSES (1996)
    TWIST AND SHOUT (1995)
    YELLOW SUBMARINE (2006)

There's likely others that I didn't think to look up or are too new to be listed on the American Hemerocallis Society website. There's also a NORWEGIAN WOODS but I figured the "s" discounted it. Of these, I grow TANGERINE HORSES and STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER, both of which I highly recommend. I ordered RINGO'S STAR for this spring.

Some of the oldest ones might be difficult to locate, while some of the newest might be rather pricey. To find sources for any of the above, just enter the word daylily followed by the name into a google search.

Imagine!