Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wondering what sort of water to water plants with (biology exp)

Posted by zac_attack24 Australia (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 22, 06 at 19:24

doing an EEI (extended experiment investigation) in yr 12 biology and need to know what was the best sort of water to use on plants is. im using spring water, town water, rain water and grey water(washing water), and need some info on this, very hard to find on the internet so if anyone has any information it would be muchly appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wondering what sort of water to water plants with (biology ex

The best water I ever used for my houseplants came from our aquarium... town water is chemically treated, so I allow it to sit for a day or so before using on my plants..laundry water might be alright for a garden if no bleach is added but its still got chemicals in it from the detergent..I would use rain water if it was not collected coming directly off a roof that had shingles on it, etc.. Spring water might have alot of lime in it and leave residue on the soil but its still a better source than treated water... but you use what is available.. you might try finding a homesteading forum for some in-depth answers..they are well acquainted with water problems.

o

Learn to refine your searches and you will come up with plenty of information. Use the right search engine, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: try this link

o

Bottled spring waters are all different. Mountain Valley Water used to advertise that their water could be used for germination in lab experiments. When I used to be able to buy it, it grew way superior bean sprouts than any other water, bottled or not with almost 100 percent sprouting. However, it is no longer sold around my area

Because I saw such a difference in growing bean sprouts, I suggest that is a very good way to compare waters. Buy a large bag of seeds. Use different waters to soak, and water sprouts. For this, you do not need soil and the difference in sprout size and vigor is very obvious.

o

Compare the following:

1. water

2. heavy water (deuterium oxide)

3. water with deuterium oxide removed (concentration of deuterium oxide in water is about 0.147 mole percent)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here