Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
electronic soil meter/analyzer

Posted by leaningoakranch 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 28, 07 at 23:49

Do these things really work? I have seen these things online for awhile now. I am fairly new to gardening and have recently used the test kits with the little flask things that you shake with dirt in them to find out your ph and available nutrients. I also sent my soil into the local extension office and had a basic free test done. The results from the lab were pretty much on par with the little tube test, albeit slightly more detailed. I tried soil samples in several locations of my property for each of those and results were almost identical.
I thought that purchasing one of the electronic 3-in-1 units would be more cost efficient and no waiting for results versus the two methods I previously mentioned, and it would allow me to monitor my soils characteristics each and every day if I so desired, or while I am adding amendments to my soil as needed. Can I get opinions from other people who have owned these and let me know if they are worth the money, or just a waste of it? I would be getting a ferry-morse or rapitest model. I would consider others as well if anyone has suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: electronic soil meter/analyzer

I never had a gadget that did what it was labeled to do so I gave up. Perhaps something new in the last 10 years will work.

I have used them "off label" e.g. stick any one of them in the soil and if the meter does not wiggle you need more moisture.

o
RE: electronic soil meter/analyzer

It is useful to bear in mind that the pH scale is logarithmic - pH 5.0 is ten times more acid than pH 6.0. Where precision is required e.g. a pH of 5.5 in a load of potting soil for a particular plant, then such an instrument should not be used. However, if I wish to find out the pH of the lawn when I am about to do a major renovation it, it might do quite nicely.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here