Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diaper Experiment

Posted by ILoveMySoldier Zone 8, SE AL (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 03 at 13:23

I read on container gardening about using stuff out of diapers to help hold moisture in pots, so I did that, and then was bored, so I used a newspaper pot, filled it with only the diaper gel and planted 4 cuke seeds in it. I did that last Sunday, I got sprouts on Wednesday, LOL.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diaper Experiment

Yes, it works! Also, clean diapers can be used in the bottoms of hanging baskets and pots to retain moisture.

o

Yeah, but the stuff is still so NASTY...

o

Even easier than clean diapers is using hmmmm, "maxi" pads! I cut them in thirds and place them in the bottom of planting holes for annuals. Ofcourse, it can be embarassing next year when you go to plant more and you dig up last years' maxis! It does help retain moisture and helps keep moisture from draining out of sandy soils so quickly. I have also used larger cut up squares of "blue pads" for large, water loving perennials. Again, it's a little funny when you go to divide a big hosta and have to peel plastic off it's bottom!

o

Diapers are so expensive and you need so little of the crystals, why bother with the diapers and maxis when you can get a 17 oz container for around $9.00. That 17 oz container will pot a LOT of plants when using the recommended 1/2 tsp (4" pot) to 2 tbs (5 GAL pot). You can also use the crystals to make your own cool ties. (I use from 1/2 tsp for smaller crystals to 1 tsp for larger ones for each cool tie. I think I can get about 60 ties out of a 17 oz container of crystals!)

Be careful of the attitude that "more is better" when using the crystals (or diapers, etc.). If you use too much and the pots are in a spot where nature waters generously, when the crystals swell they will pop the plant right out of the pot!

o

I picked up a package of "hydra-crystals" at a yard sale a few years ago, and finaly got around to using them this year. I love them! I tried to find them online with no success, so I posted a query in the sources forum. Some one gave me this website, and I will be ordering soon!

Here is a link that might be useful: watersorb

o

I purchased the box of 24 diapers for 1.99 at Big Lots. If you have 40+ pots the diapers idea was cheap. They are no name but I do not think the plants notice. Cannas and Elephant Ears love a lot of water.

It cut the watering to once a week if it does not rain. I do not have time to water so the idea was perfect especially for the hanging containers that dry quickly with the sun and wind.

o

lol...rofl

o

lov2garden: ROTFL!...;-)

o

Great now i know what to exchange for seeds when my kids are out of diapers and potty trained and i have a few extras lol. giggles.

o

I have to wonder if diapers would work as well as paper towels for germinating seeds.Will definitely try them.Posy Pet

o

Can the diapers be used or do the crystals have to be dry?

o

• Posted by Nelz z5b/6 NW PA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 20, 04 at 11:09

Are we saying I'd be okay tilling a 48 pack of Huggies into my garden?

o

• Posted by Nelz z5b/6 NW PA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 27, 04 at 0:56

I was kidding!

o

As long as people are peeing into their compost piles over on the Soils forum, they may as well be composting their kids diapers, too.

o

As long as they take the kids out of them first...

Bazza

o

last year I got sick of transplanting peat pots into bigger pots, so this spring I successfully used 1:1:1 watersorb crystals:peat moss:vermiculite in 3.5" deep root pots and successfully started veggies and impatiens and petunias. I also have germinated seeds outside in pure watersorb (a 1" layer on top of potting soil). The little roots grow right through an individual crystal, so it's like it's own little hydrophonic garden. in a potting mix, watersorb keeps everything nice and moist, and since all the pots are set in a deep plastic pan, I just keep water in the bottom and only occasionally mist the seeds/seedlings. I'm going to try grinding the dry crystals to a finer size and broadcasting them with direct sown seeds in areas I won't have time to daily water.

o

ok, here's a question, how long do they last?? and can they be replaced for that vermiculite?? ya know for that sq foot gardening??? i know the idea is to water less, well one of them is, so could this help and would it be a little cheaper?? probably not!!??? LOL i do know how good they are when a diaper explodes in the washer when ya accidently put it in there!! WOW i like to of never got that stuff out!!! LOL

o

>how long do they last?? <

More than five years apparently !
I did this back when it first came up in this forum... I just tipped out some old, big, heavy pots today to completely refresh..and there they were. Perfectly preserved ! Looked exactly like they did when I placed them there. so.. what they say about these things filling up our land fills must be true.

Yes.. They did help with keeping the pots more consistently watered... no problems with use. I used some very cheap..about $2, house brand diapers....sold at either Walgreen's or Rite Aid.

Now even stranger...I logged in after all this time. Hit my user name and pass word on the first try. Really didn't think I had a chance.. but it worked. It's a GardenWeb mircle I tell ya. hahaha....

The diaper exploding in the washer story was my inspiration. TY . :D

o

The subject of hydrophilic polymers is currently active on the Container Gardening forum: Hydrophyllic gels . . .

Also, check this out: Super-absorbent water crystals are they really so "super?"

Apparently, there are some potential problems with this technology in the garden.

Cheers!

o

I have used inners of diapers in my hanging baskets that are on the south side of our deck and low and behold for the past two seasons I have had flowers blooming all season long in my petunia baskets Yes , diapers are cheaper than the jars of crystals by far in Canada anyway. Got to love them but was kind of emmbarrasing buying them in Walmart when I wasn't knowing what size to buy so got extra large just incase. cut the watering down to once every other day instead of twice a day

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here