Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how do I graft a tomato to potato?? for space

Posted by urbn_hmstdr 7 pacific NW (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 26, 06 at 14:03

Hi, I need instructions on how to graft a tomato to potato to save space. I have grown some tomato seedlings from seed and have gotten attached to them, I would hate to waste them if I use wrong technique.
My reasons for wanting to do this - extremely limited yard space (currently renting and can only use the flower beds). It will be a good skill to have once I have my homesteading land which because of cost might be only 3 acres.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how do I graft a tomato to potato?? for space

grow both tomatoe plant and potatoe plant to the transpant stage harden them off let them grow side by side out doors for one week make a one or 2 inch cut in the skin of each the plants where they will make contact then tape them together so no cut is exposed . Next let them fully recover . Then gradually cut back the potatoe leaves a few at a time until there are none ,let them return to good health check the graft to make sure the 2 plants have fused ( grown together as one ) if they have ,and the graft and tomatoe plant are both healthy and strong you can then amputate the potatoe branch just above the graft . Then let it grow until it is healthy strong stable and growing when the tomatoe is growing well and healed completely then you can cut off thr tomatoe roots . Then when it heals completely you have a tompotatoe plant ! The harvests you get are usually inferior to growng the 2 crops separatly . Good Luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here