Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
montyburns_gw

Will these work as fertilizer?

montyburns
19 years ago

Ok, 2 items I have a lot of around lately is sawdust and used kitty litter...was wondering if either of these could be used to fertilize my garden?

The Sawdust is plain ol' pine sawdust, nothing fancy, not PT. Figured I would just scoop it all up and spread it around or work it into the top of the soil, any reasons not to do this?

Second is kitty litter...when I poop scoop the litter box, would it be possible to work this into soil to fertilize? Not looking to dump the litter itself into the garden just the cat's 'deposits'. Would the litter particles be a problem? Any experience with this?

Comments (7)

• grungy
    19 years ago

Fresh sawdust is a nitrogen robber. After it has decomposed it could be use as a garden fertilzer/ condition. I would look for something else. Cat litter is something I wouldn't use. It may contain parasites ect. that may prove harmful to human health.

• terran
    19 years ago

Hola Monty,

When I first started to garden, I sought out commercial wood working businesses so I could get the saw dust. They loved it since I cleaned up their shops so well. I used the sawdust in conjunction with grass clippings to make compost.

In regard to the use of cat poop, I say, " What does nature do with it?". When a cat makes a deposit into the soil bank instead of a litter box, any potential pathogens are still there. I think people worry too much about things over which there is no control. We have cats and they make deposits in the yard. I just practice good hygiene after playing in the dirt.

We use the clay type litter in the yard also, but we have decomposed granite as a base "soil". There is an old saw that goes, " Add clay to sand, money in hand. Add sand to clay, throw money away". The idea is that the fine particle size of clay will go much farther to ameliorate a sandy soil than the large amount of sand that it would require to improve a clay soil. So, if you have a sand base I say incorporate the litter into the soil, or at least don't worry about the small amount that goes into the soil with the cat manure.

Terran

• doctordon
    19 years ago

Monty,

I agree with Terran.Organic Gardening Mag years ago had a formula for using dry sawdust 1:1 in volume with fresh grass clippings. Mix, water and turn every three days. Compost will be ready in two weeks! I've done it. You'll have a hot compost pile, so keep it covered.

Doctordon

• vgkg Z-7 Va
    19 years ago

The cat poop spread on the outside perimeter of the garden can deter rabbits and other critters.

• effnc
    18 years ago

The question "what does nature do with cat-poop"
    First: how much land would a natural (wild) cat need to keep house?
    Second: have you ever turned over cat-poop and seen any insects munching it away? As in the case: "cow-dung versus dung-beetle"

To ignore that concentrated meat-eating animals' poop makes bad sence is to ignore all nature's rules of space and inhabitants within.Just because we domesticated animals does not mean we could ignore their natural habitat and how they themselves keep their hunting/foodground clean.
    Example:Let a cat roam and see how far it travels within 15 minutes.
    Thumbs down for cat manure:-(
    Get a few chickens and let them scratch, they are natural fertilizing/egglaying/meatproviding/insect-distroyers, saves a lot of plowing up your yard.

• jimster
    18 years ago

If you have sandy soil, kitty litter (without the poop) would be a good ammendment. Kitty litter is calcined clay and a very sandy soil would benefit from it. I would go by the recommendations above re kitty poop. Don't use it on vegetables.

Jim

• bobcat
    18 years ago

1. obviously no one that's preggers could scoop around your garden.
    2. nitrogen + carbon = compost. Maybe you could compost the wood with the poop. Of course, number one still applies. And while I've never composted meat eaters poo, i've heard from several sources that it is an "advanced composting method".
    3. This is more of a question than observation, but can't the terpenes and other chemicals in pine be detrimental to garden veggies?