Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orata_gw

Upside-down growing

orata
20 years ago

I've been reading about growing tomatoes upside-down...

Are there any other food plants you can grow upside-down like this? Vining squash maybe?

I'm thinking about trying this... buying a sturdy standing laundry rack like this:

Hanging upside-down tomatoes from the bars, and then putting a long planter box on the bottom and training something climbing (New Zealand Spinach? Pole beans?) up the sides.

Comments (10)

• tony_k_orlando
    20 years ago

I've done it and for some reason I do still do it a little. Its more
    interesting than productive. It has its problems. It surely isnt
    worth investing $$s in a fancy stand to hang em from.

{{gwi:1012530}}

{{gwi:1012531}}

{{gwi:1012532}}

• grenthum
    20 years ago

Could you please tell me how you do this. It may not be the most productive but it sure looks cool! How did it do for the cukes? Is that what I see in the second picture?

• tony_k_orlando
    20 years ago

Hello grenthum,

The first one is Zucchini, them an heirloom tomato and lastly a cuke.

The cuke did very well with large fruit.

If you are considering a cuke, I would suggest simply planting in a bucket and let it drape over the side. Why waste a good bucket by having to put a hole in the bottom?!

IF you do want to slaughter that bucket then simply drill a hole in the bottom and do one of two things.... One is to place a seedling in the hole from inside the bucket and then fill with soil OR second way is to fill bucket with soil, put cover on bucket and flip over meaning onto the cover with the hole in the bottom of the bucket pointing up. Then start your cuke seeds in the hole. When they are a good size OR you cant stand it anymore, simply hang em up.

They work, but more interesting to watch than productive.

have fun,
    Tony

• jroot
    19 years ago

There is an experiment going on. One plant growing from the top, and another from the bottom. So far, the one at the top is winning.
    {{gwi:1012533}}

• swanz
    19 years ago

Hey jroot, pls update us on your experiment.
    Swanz

• jroot
    19 years ago

15 days later .... July 19th.
    Upright growth much surpasses undergrowth. There is fruit above, but no fruit below, although there are flowers below now.

Usually, if there is to be a blight it will come in a couple of weeks from now. We'll see which wins the competition.
    {{gwi:1012534}}

• jroot
    19 years ago

10 days later ... July 29

The upright grown tomatoes are far surpassing the upside-down tomatoes. You will notice the fruit on the upside-down ones are smaller as are the leaves. BTW, these same tomatoes grown in a normal fashion are doing MUCH better than those in the experiment.

{{gwi:1012535}}

• jroot
    19 years ago

August 7th.

The weather is cool. The growth is slow. The upside right tomatoes has lost a number of the lower leaves.

{{gwi:1012536}}

• mysweetie75
    19 years ago

Can i grow a birdhouse gourd in an upside down bucket?

• Amino_X
    19 years ago

Cucumbers and Paste tomatoes (like Roma's) only need 1 gallon of soil, and those "Al's Flower Pouches" hold 5 quarts. I grew both this year in these pouches (each got their own pouch mind you) I let the cucumbers cascade over the edge of their pouches and they did great, but since there is already a drain hole in the bottom, you can plant them through that. Just a word of advice, seal up the X slits with clear packing tape before filling with soil (unless you plan on some companion plants like Basil for the holes).

I was planning on growing my paste tomatoes this way next season, but after seeing Jroot's experiment, I may go back to the old up-right way of doing it :D

Best Wishes
    Amino-X

Sponsored