Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noinwi

seeds in gelatin

noinwi
20 years ago

I set up my gelatin germination experiment in baby food jars according to instructions I found online, but instead of putting them under lights(have none), I put them on a south window sill. This morning all of my seeds were on the bottom of the jars! The gelatin was very firm (having set overnight)when I put the seeds in it. I'm assuming it got too warm and liquified, then cooled again. What to do now? Do I dig them all out and start over? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Comments (17)

• Lenh
    20 years ago

I watch with bated breath as I was about to try the same experiment,I hope you get some answers
    regards
    Len

• noinwi
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Well, I decided to cap the jars, turn them upside down and let the heat from the window liquify the gelatin again. Then I shook them a little to loosen the seeds and left them for a while. When I checked on them later, all the seeds were at the bottom(on the lids). I put them in a cool room to firm up, then turned them over, uncapped them,loosened the sides of the gelatin with a knife(so much for sterility)and gently pushed the mass down into the jar. Now I'm back where I started. I just have to keep the jars from getting too much heat. Some alyssum seeds that had been protected from the heat have already sprouted roots! They look cool sticking straight down in the gelatin. I can hardly wait for the others. I used mainly old left over seed from gardens past(annuals,basils,lettuce,etc)in case I screwed up, so anything I get will be a plus. I'll keep you posted.

• captstinky
    20 years ago

Try using Agar, and mixing a little bit less water as per instructions. I tried it with a number of cuttings and seeds this past winter. I ended up going back to starting in sand, or peat. I had problems with stuff growing in the containers like mold or fungus. Some cinnamon spinkled on top retarded growth of the bad guys.

• noinwi
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thank you. I'll try the cinnamon. I used gelatin because I happened to have it in my cupboard and had no seed starting mix, and was going through spring planting withdrawals. I've been in zone3 NW WI just under a year(transplanted from zone7), so gardening in general is a big experiment. Everything here is different...soil,humidity(none),heat,cold,BUGS! Back in the PNW I would be up to my elbows in soil by now. Here I'm still up to my knees in snow. Sorry, had to vent. My DH and I moved here to be closer to family so I shouldn't complain. But gardening here is WAY different. Anyway, I'll keep posting on my gelatin progress. Thanks again.

• Peter_in_Az
    20 years ago

How do you transplant?
    Do you just use unflavored gelatin?
    Will it work with any seed?

I'm relatively new to the seed sprouting part of gardening and, depending on the answers, this sounds like something I'd be interested in doing.

• byron
    20 years ago

Wait a week, till the the gelatin starts to rot

It stinks

LOL

• noinwi
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I now have little green alyssum sprouts...also mold. Some basils have sprouted roots. One jar of gelatin liquified. Did a dead ladybug have something to do with it? I'm having a hard time balancing light and heat from the window, constantly moving the jars to and fro. I decided to sterilize a small batch of used potting soil, pick about half of the alyssum and basil seeds out with tweezers and plant them. We'll see how it goes. So far it seems a bit more trouble than it's worth, but hey, at least I'm gardening! (I think I prefer sprouting seed between moist paper towels) As for the stink, my sunny window is in the laundry room with two litter boxes so I probably won't notice, or I'll just blame it on the cats :)

• noinwi
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Well, my experiment is over. The gelatin was overtaken by mold. Cinnamon didn't help. It all liquified. I will end up with some alyssum and basil and possibly monarda so all is not lost. I guess I'll stick with paper towels from now on. Thank you all for your input.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    20 years ago

I have grown stuff in/on gelatin. I would not recommend anyone try it without a course in sterile technique unless you aspire to be a mad scientist. I find that attempting almost anything can be fun, I am sort of a mad scientist, and the online instructions in some places are, well, shall we say, just OK. Don't get discouraged if you want to experiment. Find instructions for making a glove box and for sterilization of equipment and start all over. Remember the seeds must be treated too.

• jkirk3279
    20 years ago

I've read you can sterilize by rinsing everything in Hydrogen Peroxide first.

• nepheron
    17 years ago

i thought it was a good idea until you all wrecked it for me.......lol :)

• maineman
    17 years ago

I guess I won't be trying to start any seeds on gelatin either. But, thanks, noinwi, for doing the experiment and reporting the results (mold) here.

I think a good sterile commercial growing medium (I use Premier Pro-Mix BX), some seed-starting medium based on pulverized sphagnum moss or the equivalent, and perhaps some fine grade horticultural vermiculite, might give you good results with less problems and disappointments. This year I plan to experiment with some coir seed starting medium.

MM

• stugrant01_aol_com
    13 years ago

I used to work at a place that made and used seeding gel. You are supposed to at something to the mix when you make it. Something like antibiotics. I remember a little agar, a little salt, a little sugar, and something else, I can't remember anymore.

• moumi97_yahoo_ca
    13 years ago

I don't understand why all of your experiments didn't work... because I tired it and the gelatin was AMAZING!
    the seeds (bean) germinated in 2 days and i waited a week..
    and secondary roots was also growing
    its the perfect medium to get ur seed started
    afterwards u can just plant it in soil

• plants_growth_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I don't understand why all of your experiments didn't work... because I tired it and the gelatin was AMAZING!
    the seeds (bean) germinated in 2 days and i waited a week..
    and secondary roots was also growing
    its the perfect medium to get ur seed started
    afterwards u can just plant it in soil

• godsgifts
    12 years ago

Just my two cents. Knox Gelatin just gets fowl smelling.
    This is really more a chore to get right then it is an appealing way to grow.

• ruthlucc_aol_com
    12 years ago

Honey is an antibactirial agent might work in the gelatine

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor