Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do Blueberry (specifically Rabbiteye ones)

Posted by drasaid zone 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 8, 05 at 20:01

plants have shallow, wide rooting areas because they
a) like aeration?
b) like first dibs at rain and nutrition?
c) they just are like that?
The reason I ask is that I really like blueberries but I have a container garden in New Orleans; Top Hat is a coldweather cultivar and I find the local type blueberries only use the top eight inches in the containers. If I made a wide flat container that was permeable (like a big hardware cloth envelope) and lined it with burlap and filled it with dirt could I expect the blueberry to spread its roots through it? Or will it just try and fill the top eight inches again?
I guess I'm asking, can I espalier the roots? It would give me more room on my patio if I could.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do Blueberry (specifically Rabbiteye ones)

"Blueberry roots do not have root hairs and consequently absorb soil moisture very inefficiently. Keep soil damp but not wet. Mature blueberries require the equivalent of 1 to 2 inches of rainfall every 10 days during the growing season. Insufficient moisture will reduce fruit bud formation for next year's crop."

How about "E) All of the above " ?

Here is a link that might be useful: Blueberries

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here