Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

help making squash towers

I'd like to make squash towers for winter squash as I do container gardening and I have limited space; making them would maximize this space without stressing out the plants (via overcrowding).

Basically I plan to follow the design of a tomato cage. People have recommended concrete reinforcement wire; would this work?

How wide should the openings be? I want the openings wide enough that I can reach thru and harvest the fruit without it getting caught.

I know this depends on the type of squash; I'd be growing acorn, butternut, kabocha (asian type of pumpkin; much smaller than American pumpkins), delicata, and spaghetti.

Would I have to train the vines up the cages? All the varieties I have are either bush or semi bush so they have shorter vines and take up less space than traditional vining varieties of winter squash.

How tall should the cages be and what size roll of the mesh should I get to start off with (I don't know how many cages I'd be making; would start with one roll of mesh and see how many cages I get from that)

Comments (4)