Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jordan_californicus

Unorthodox container gardening (hanging baskets included)

And of course, please let us know if it worked, or bombed. Nothing ventured nothing gained right?

Well, here's one that, for me at least, is a gain:

Honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica). In a hanging basket (I can here the shunning from everyone save for the Northwest). Well, say what you want about it, and I know people are just as divided about this as they are Hedera helix (and see, I HATE that plant), but it's worked two years in a row now. All the nurseries sell this in 1 gal. pots with little bamboo tee-pees, I just plant it in a good sized basket, take out the sticks, and tease the main stems for a month or so until the plant gets the hang of it, and dangles it's blossoms for the hummingbirds in a most awesome way. Last year I just used Hall's honeysuckle, this year I'm using purple-leaf honeysuckle, surrounded by variegated lemon Thyme, in a more decorative basket. Pictures later, promise!

Also on my experimentation for this year: Two blueberry plants, different varieties, both late ripeners, one more open and sprawling, the other more upright. Planting them in the same large container (I'm thinking half-wine barrel, perhaps bigger with wheels on the bottom). Only because I'm in a rental, want to keep the plants, and this should help keep them cross-polinated. Got the idea from Monrovia, who pots a male and female Ilex x meserveae close together to ensure berries.

Fire away!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County