Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In-Ground Pool Garden

Posted by chefschipull AZ (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 07 at 1:17

Hello, I was thinking about converting an in-ground swimming pool to a vegetable garden and I was wondering if anyone has tried this yet. Its a rather large pool, 4 feet deep at the shallow end to 8 feet deep at the other end.

What would be the best type of medium to fill the pool in with? Regular dirt, or small river rocks? I'm looking to take on a new project so any previous experience with this would help. Thanks!

ChefSchipull

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In-Ground Pool Garden

If you are thinking of filling a gunite pool with soil, as if it never existed, contact your ordinance guy first. In MI, if you try it, the concrete walls must be broken to 4 feet, REMOVED, the bottom broken, and the proper permits must be obtained. I would hate to see you do this work, and then have to dig it all out again. See other people's activities on this subject in pool forum.
I remember someone in the newspaper turning the deeper part of their pool into a native pond (fish, plants, etc) and the ordinance guys stopped him.
That being said, the fill must be installed & compacted in layers, with the top 12" being good soil. You Don't want it become a sink hole area later as the soil settles.

o

My parents just had their inground pool filled in and it looks beautiful! They filled all but the top 6-8" with sand moved in by bobcat from another area of their property. (They had a vinyl liner that they slashed before putting the sand in.) Then they let it settle over the winter, and topped it with brought-in soil. The landscaper designed various areas to break up the oval shape, and also put stones around the edges. Below is a link to pictures of the installation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool Landscaping

o

You might want to check the price of dirt, buying vegetables for the rest of your life might be cheaper. In my area in Florida, dirt is not dirt cheap. As a matter of fact, people who own acres visit their property and find large amounts of dirt gone-stolen!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here