Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zone denial/frost protection

Posted by lucille Houston (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 10:10

I am in the Houston area and am going to plant bottlebrush seedlings. If there is a hard freeze I was thinking of covering the hedge with tarps and possibly even running one of those ice defroster wires on the ground. Or are there better ways to protect?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zone denial/frost protection

I sometimes get annoyed by persons who say in affect go look somewhere else for your answers. Having said that I admit that sometimes I do it myself. I suggest you go to Gardening in Texas - GardenWeb and repost your query.

o

I have read of some experiments that use electricity to prevent frost damage using electricity - look up electroculture or electro-horticulture. Basically, applying a DC electric field to the soil will be the way to test it out. Let me know if you decide to give it a try!

o

Hi
Albert probably has the best respose as there are soooo many variables I live in s. florida so what works for me may not work for you What is your general lowest temps and for how long?? Bottle brush survives temps into the 20s easily but I'd bet it couldn't handle it all day long or repeatedly
My most extreme is for a Vanda orchid bed I use frost cloth held up by PVC pipe ,heated with a lightless infrared lamp with thermostat.. Always keep it above 50 year around. it's used lesss than two weeks out of the year and then only for hours at a time.. My biggest problem is overheating after the front has passed
For general frost protection i wouldn't recommend any type of plastic . Used bed sheets with or without christmas lights work well and are easy to store . very light weight and cheap . They do make reactive "frostcloth" that produces heat if you need to go that far ??? gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here