Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Straw Bale planting

Posted by katherinegrows z5 MI (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 07 at 10:28

HI I am 16 and a 4-hr i would love to do a mini display on this subject and I think I will use a 6 x 9 craft straw bale i will be soaking the bale and i plan on digging into the bale to add some soil because the bale is not the typical bale. I will also be making a normal bale outside in the yard for the true test. i am so glad i fell on this. reading all your information has helped me. thanks if anyone has any hints or advise please feel free to pass them on. or fair is July 7th. thanks Katherine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Straw Bale planting

Congratulations on a fine and worthwhile project. I once took part in a similar exercise. The group filled a crate with some very good topsoil and planted some watermelon seeds in it. When they were well established, we left about four of the best plants and discarded the rest. We then took it to the very top of a very large heap of quarry stones. We dug out a space and placed the crate in it. We covered it lightly with stones and left everything to the weather. Within a week the vines had grown out and a few weeks later, the pile was covered by the vines laden with watermelons. Many people were quite mystified as to how those vines got there. Of course none of them went up to the top to see; they were only there for the watermelons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here