Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato cages for my Gladiolas

Posted by green_panther Upstate NY (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 08 at 10:50

Hello Everyone

I'm usually not one for plants that you have to fuss with BUT it seems I have a soft spot for my husband and his favorite flower - the Gladiola.

So every year I dig them up in the fall and replant in the spring. The only problem is, they keep flopping over! It gives me a good excuse to cut them and bring them inside but I would also like to enjoy them where they are.

My experiment this is year is to put tomato cages over the bulbs for support. But tomato cages on their own are a little sparse so I was thinking that I might get some morning glories, cardinal climbers, hyacinth beans etc. to grow up the cages.

This is my picture from last year BEFORE the climbing annual vine brainstorm:

What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato cages for my Gladiolas

great idea on the morning glories...i need to try that here. i am using tomatoe cages on my ginger lilies, they get HUGE and flop over...hate the cages during the spring......gonna try the annual vines! :)

o

• Posted by paul_ z4/5 MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 28, 08 at 10:06

Btw GP, you might be able to forego digging up the glads. I have glads (not the "winter hardy" varieties) planted in several areas of my folks' yard. I never dig them up as I rarely have the time to drive upstate to their place in the fall. They've come up no problem -- and this has been going on for 7 or 8 years now at least. So I'd say perhaps give it a try with a few bulbs and see what happens.

o

Finally someone has found a use for those accursed tomato cages. Good for you.

o

LOL - Albert! I know just how you feel... my tomatoes just end up hanging themselves off the stupid cages... the gladiolas like them much better. Should only be a couple more weeks now and I should have pictures!

o

Tomato cages work especially well for my peonies as well as my hollyhocks,roses,MG and glads. I love tomato cages - they are so versatile.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here