Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best way to dig up old sod?

Posted by DaisyADayInOregon NW USA (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 03 at 16:19

I'm trying to add a flower bed and dry river bed to an area that is now covered with unhealthy sod. I don't want to cover it and work on top of the grass because it will make the area too high and will cause probs with runoff onto the sidewalk & driveway. I guess I need to peel up the sod if that is possible. Any ideas??? Thanks tons. Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best way to dig up old sod?

I've done quite a bit of this with a good shovel. Peel the sod onto a tarp and drag it away. Easier than lift into barrow. Best after a day of rain. THat's my hard-workin' amateur answer.

o

Thanks! So what do you use to peel up the sod? A shovel or hoe? I'm truly clueless. Is it really hard to do?

o

Get an edging shovel. It is a flat shovel and a good tool man at Lowes or any good hardware store will know what it is. Have the blade sharpened where it will slide under the sod and lift it. But first take the shovel and cut the sod into squares and then lift it right up with the shovel.

o

Use a pick and shovel. I've made dozens of garden beds from lawns. Cut the sod with a regular long-handled pointed shovel in rows and pull up the sod with the broad side of a pick-ax. A rounded shovel cuts into the sod way easier than a flat ended one. This takes a tenth of the time and energy of using a spade, sod cutter, etc.

o

hi daisy
dig and turn over the sod. it makes good humus, the odd clumps that grow just pick out.

o

If it's a large area rent a sod cutter at a rental shop or a box store. It takes 1/10th the time and energy and you'll have that garden done in no time.

o

The easiest way I have found is to till the top couple of inches then just rake it up.

o

Rent a sod cutter! AFter two hours of digging I was so discouraged at how little I had accomplished. SOd cutter was like magic, super fast and easy to use. Worth every penny to rent!
Had tried to rototill, but sod was too hard and too much work.l

o

All of these ideas sound useful.
I dug up the front lawn this year the hard way , that is I cut squares out of the sod ( beig careful not to damage the Silver Maple roots running through it) then sat around shaking the soil out depositing the remaining tufts into the municipal bin ( no room to store).
Apart from getting to enjoy being outside for 3 consecutive weekends from dawn 'til dusk I met all the neighbours as they walked by in disbelief

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here