Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adjacent plants or varieties

Posted by lurker 10 Central CA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 3, 03 at 17:10

I dont know if Im in the right form but I hope some one can help me. Ive heard you should not plant cucumbers, next to cantaloupes, or water melons. Is this true, if so what about squash. Also are their any other general rules of what should not be planted next to each other, and what is a safe distance apart to plant. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adjacent plants or varieties

I'm sure some experienced gardeners will help more but I would look in the organic gardening forum and do a search.

Ethan

Spelling checked with Iespell

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is a search that I did

o

If you are not saving your own seed from the cucumber or cataloupes then it makes no difference. These two will cross with insects pollinating the flowers, but it will only show up in the seed planted the following year. Watermelons will not cross with either of them.

o

there is a book called "Carrots Love Tomatoes" and it is all about companion planting, i recomend you go to your local library ad check it out, or better yet just buy a copy! it is by Louis Riotte and is published by Storey Books. the cost is $14.95US and it is a great refrence. ~Ryan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here