Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fertilizer

Posted by suburbcountrygrower (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 10, 07 at 17:46

Does anyone know that dissolved, diluted aspirin can be used a fertilizer? I read it in Reader's Digest...and I tried it, with my marigolds. It works!!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fertilizer

That's interesting. Aspirin is salicylic acid.....maybe the plants like the low ph. I'm going to try it. What dilution did you use?

o

It is possible that the 'acid' condition caused more nutrients to become available. Iron would be one and it is essential in the manufacture of chlorophyll. A green up would not be surprising.

o

That would be an awful expensive form of fertilizer.

o

I use another simple homemade fertilizer. I add "7 minute itch" plants to a large water storage keg. I let the solution set about a week at first (once set you just replace what you use) I pour this mixture over my plants. It is a very simple fertilizer that also works to keep plant lice away. (((Warning: It stinks to high heaven, in the bucket but once poured the smell goes away in a minute or two!!)))

Your plants will grow green and fast, and flowered plants will have Huge healthy flowers!

o

• Posted by lindac Iowa Z 5/4 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 16, 07 at 20:32

What's 7 minute itch plant?

o

It is a tall thin plant with "hairs" on the stem. When you brush up against them you break out in hives for ... 7 minutes - grows all over here in Germany where I live.

o

redman, is this the plant?

Here is a link that might be useful: 7 minute itch

o

I asked my wife and she tells me the plant is called nettles (don't trust my spelling)

I have got to say that it really works well.

o

I know a company which is pretty good at soil diagnostics (bodemverbetering). It is a dutch company, though they can probably give you some advice on this.

o

The plants are nettles, and when I was telling one of my secretaries about the plant she checked it on Wikipedia...I was kind of shocked at how versitile the plant is. Good stuff.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here