Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deanne2_gw

Heavy Duty Welded Rebar Mesh Tomato Cages

deanne2
15 years ago

Maybe someone out there might recognize this material my dad used to make these wonderful tomato cages out of. My dad, who was in construction, had these cages welded out of a rebar kind of mesh. They were tall like maybe 7ft or more by about 1.5-2 ft wide cylinders. The squares or rectangles in the mesh were big enough for you to easily to reach the tomatoes. He would put the cage in a whisky barrel and then fill it with dirt. I donÂt think you could move them once there were filled since the whole thing would have been very heavy. The cage was solid and didn't move. He would start them very early in the season like February and use clear plastic tied around the rebar mesh to keep out the cold air. This worked very well. I just wished I knew what that rebar mesh was called. He had a friend weld it and it is not something that looked like it could bend into a circle but it had to since it was welded and the squares were so perfect that it had to have been a premade mesh of some sort. These cages did such a great job of holding up heavy tomatoes and the plants could get really big in these cages. Dad passed away quite awhile ago and I would love to make about three of those and stick them in my raised beds. I have seen field fencing which looks like pretty stout wire but the bundles I have seen at home depot are not that tall and my dads were much more heavy duty metal than that as well. Does anyone know what this mesh rebar stuff is and where you can get it and how much is it? Is there a cheap way to find some? Can anyone help me figure out how to make these again?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County