Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daveface

Ideas for a new garden and new gardener.

DaveFace
11 years ago

Hey everybody,

I am brand new to gardening. I am putting together a garden in my back yard and need some pointers. The yard is on a 20 degree slope and has a creek running through it. My plans are to build some above ground planters out of pressure treated 2 by 6 up to 3 feet tall and line the interior with plastic sheathing. I have a pump already pulling water out of the creek to irrigate the zoysia so I was going to use that to irrigate the garden as well. I haven't tested the water but it is downstream of a few farms so I suspect there are pesticides in it? My plan was to add some sort of filtration on the new pipe from the pump. Do I go with a clorinator and then clay filter or is there any real need for filtration? Do I need to make greenhouse tops for the planters? I was planning on burying pvc in the planters with holes drilled in it to supply the water to reduce evaporation and increase rooting. Is that the correct thing to do?

All advice is greatly appreciated!

I completely forgot to mention I plan on growing vegetables and maybe some grape vines on the hillside. And forgive any misspelling. I am a terrible speller.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths