Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rtinfl

nematodes and fire ants

RTinFL
20 years ago

I read on another forum that a guy uses benificial nematodes to help keep fire ants in check. Has anyone else noticed this or experimened with this? Anyone willing to do an experiment? I am willing, but I wont have a chance until at least august. I am sooooo willing to find a way of getting rid of the ants. Maybe it depends on the type of nematode used?

Comments (8)

• vlam87
    20 years ago

In North Carolina, we had TONS of fire ants---- Especially at the coast. The remedy there was to buy a box of INSTANT GRITS and sprinkle it in and around their hill. They'd carry the food in, eat it and then when they drank water, the grits would expand... hence, killing the red ants. At least that's the assumption of WHY they died.

I have to tell you, it works like a charm for me every time! I go to Aldi's or Save-a-Lot and buy the cheapest Instant Grits I can find. I've never had to treat a hill twice!

In a pinch, I've used Whetena or Cream of Wheat --- which has also worked well- but since it's more expensive, I stick to the cheap instant grits as much as possible.

Hope the tip helps you too!
    V

• MikeR_
    20 years ago

I'm real interested in hearing about results with the nematodes, so keep us posted.

I've heard over and over that this grits thing is a myth. I don't know for sure myself. Do you find the ants dead all around the mound, are they all dead or does the hive move to another location? Can you give us more detail on exactly what you see day to day after applying the grits.

• mtomlin
    20 years ago

The instant grits works wonders with ants in my yard! I don't know if the mound dies out or moves like it does with poison - I just know that the ants are gone in a day. Silly me, I should be using it in the garden, too!

• kumquat12
    18 years ago

I bought about 15 containers of the nematode thing and killed each little hill, but the came back as big as you please. And the stuff is expensive.

• dchall_san_antonio
    18 years ago

Grits may work but not because they eat them and then drink water. Fire ants can only eat liquid food to begin with.

The nematodes I have good luck with come from Colorado. Check out the link. Their online prices beats my local price by about a dollar. And by far the best results comes when the soil is pretty saturated from several days of steady rain.

Here is a link that might be useful: Guardian Lawn Patrol Nematodes

• roseyp8255
    18 years ago

Powdered laundry detergent also helps - how i don't know, maybe they just move - but who cares as long as they leave my yard. I buy the cheap stuff and sprinkle it - then water.
    I am quite convinced that there is one long colony of them underground - stretching from coast to coast.

• tsip
    15 years ago

My father was a football coach and used them with great success on his football field for at least the last 5 years of his career - retired 6 years ago. Centerville HS in Texas still uses them since his retirement as far as I know. Yes they are expensive but they work. Good luck with your ant problem

• karenadcox
    8 years ago

I just read an article that stated nematodes are NOT effective against fire ants. For what it's worth...I've been using nematodes in my dog run, corral, round pen and yard since 2004 and I am the ONLY house in my area that does not have mounds and mounds of fire ants in the lawns. Another bonus with these wonderful little creatures is that they also control fleas, ticks and any other ground boring pest. I know this is true also because I live next door to a breeding kennel. They fight fleas year round and I only deal with an occasional few that hop on my inside dogs when they run in the yard close to that neighbor. Of course, their flea control takes care of those few. Also...before you start seeding your nematodes make sure you haven't used any chemical pest control on or around your yard for at least 6 months (I waited a full year) because the poison WILL kill your nematodes. Good luck. (But you probably won't need it.)

Sponsored