Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Home-made Weed-B-Gone.....

Posted by ChocAmoire zone7a/b VA (My Page) on
Mon, May 13, 02 at 9:04

Anyone have any home-made recipes to get rid of weeds? Something easily made in the kitchen?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Home-made Weed-B-Gone.....

This is home made RoundUp. I use 20% vinegar mixed with 1T of molasses and 2T of dish soap as wetting agents mixed to one gallon of vinegar. I get the vinegar at a feed store. This mix kills most broadleaved plants in about 2 hours and most grass in 2 days, so watch your overspray.

o

• Posted by BarbC coastal SC (My Page) on
    Tue, May 14, 02 at 1:43

I have not done that with molasses, but with 1 cup of salt, instead. Everything else was the same. It works, but may temporarily taint the soil, so I wouldn't use it where you intend to plant immediately.

o

• Posted by Byron 4a/5b NH (My Page) on
    Wed, May 15, 02 at 9:07

Have you tried Corn Gluten Meal?

o

I have. Corn gluten meal is a preemergent and doesn't do anything for growing weeds. I'm not convinced it does anything for weed seeds either, but it sure makes a GREAT fertilizer!!

o

jerry baker says gin in a spray bottle will kill broadleaf weeds.

o

• Posted by BarbC 8 coastal SC (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 20, 04 at 5:05

What a waste of gin! LOL

o

I have ducks and geese and feed them on the ground with cracked corn from the feed store. Everywhere I place the corn all the grass/weeds die with-in a week. Of course I would not suggest it for those without fowl as you would also attract rodents.

o

angelfairy,

Could that be because the ducks are KILLING the grass?

o

Makes sense since cornmeal is an organic pre-emergent.

o

Drink a bunch of the gin and you won't care if your weeds are growing.....

o

• Posted by dian57 M-H Valley NY-5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 18, 09 at 3:48

Any idea if this works on bindweed? It's the most evil plant every to take hold in my garden.

o
i put down weed_b_gon by ortho and all of the black crows showed

The Black crows showed up on my front lawn. Hundreds of them and the next thing most of my Marathon II was torn out of the ground. I reported this to Ortho they said it wasn't from the Weed B Gon. I took the bottle spray off the water hose and it was full of ants, you could hardly see the bottle. Why WHY me?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here