Return to the Garden Experiments Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mums

Posted by sunshinedydrm z7NY (My Page) on
Thu, May 29, 03 at 10:31

Hi! I've heard that you can cut off a piece of a mum and pop it into the soil to make another plant. Has anyone tried it? Any success?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mums

They root quickly and happily from almost any stem part. I would use a piece of stem with at least one leaf or bud. A little hormone might help but is not necessary. root directly In to new sterile potting soil keep the cuttings soil moist.

good luck

Ethan

o

It works well with coleus as well.

My wife calls them my cheap b-stard plants because I will buy two mums and a 4pack of coleus and cut them to pieces and end up with dozens of plants for my beds.

~Chills

o

Hi, Chills! I like it! How long does it take to get the coleus or mums to a good size? I have two little mum branches and I can't wait until they're nice and bushy mum plants!

o

• Posted by calpat zone9ab No.Ca. (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 10, 03 at 16:52

I ordered 18 new mums last winter and when they arrived they were seedlings, good root systems. Followed instructions, planted them in 4" pots of soiless mix. Everyone of them has grown, been transplanted into garden soil. About 3 weeks ago I went out and "topped" them(pinched tops), stripped the bottom leaves & put them in the soiless mix, also I put some in a glass of water. Both methods seem to be working. Can hardly wait as there are Spider, Quills & the classic Incurves, all different colors. Anxious to see the end results with pictures, hopefully I'll have some to share. I think the soiless mix for starting them is the key ingredient here.

o

Calpat,could you tell me where you ordered from?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Garden Experiments Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here